Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Living in Wilmington

About four weeks ago, I moved from the Houston area to Wilmington to be with my family and begin a new chapter in my life. With a population of just over one-hundred thousand, this quaint, coastal city on the banks of the Cape Fear River is quickly growing on me. I've come to appreciate this city on many levels, the foremost of which is its history. Although much smaller in terms of size and population, Wilmington is older than Houston by a century, and nearly forty years older than the country it's in!

What is even more impressive, in my opinion, is the city's enduring effort to preserve that history. In the last few decades, the city has invested heavily in preserving its historic buildings. The result is an alluring, vibrant downtown area that, unlike many other cities across America, remains the beating heart of the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment